(You can download Ekere’s full CV here with an exhaustive list of all literary workshops, herbalism workshops, academic conferences and presentations, anthology publications, selected articles and poetry performances.)
Ph.D. Student, Theatre Arts and Performance Studies, Brown University, current
Master of Arts, Theatre Arts and Performance Studies, Brown University, May 2020
Master of Fine Arts, English and Creative Writing, Mills College, January 2002
Bachelor of Arts, Mass Communication, Clark Atlanta University, June 1996
AWARDS & HONORS
- Ezra Jack Keats Foundation, Writer Honor, 2019.
- Brainpickings, Favorite Children’s Books of 2019.
- Bank Street College of Education, Best Children’s Books of The Year 2020 Edition, 2020.
- Inclusive Storytime, Best of 2019 Picture Books.
- Pushcart Prize Nomination, 2017.
- Institute for the Recruitment of Teachers Associate, 2017.
- New York Foundation for the Arts Artist as Entrepreneur Boot Camp for Artists of Color, 2017.
- Dear Continuum: Letters to a Poet Crafting Liberation on “A Seat at the Table” syllabus, 2017.
- Dear Continuum: Letters to a Poet Crafting Liberation Split This Rock! Books We Love, 2015.
- The Missouri Review Audio Poetry Contest Runner-Up, 2014.
- Queens Art Express, 2013.
- Queens Council on the Arts Grant. “Osain’s Children,” 2010.
- Fundacion Valparaiso Residency, 1999.
- Layla’s Happiness. Brooklyn, NY: Enchanted Lion Books, 2019.
- How to be a Woman According to Prime Time. New York, NY: Harlequin Creature, 2018.
- Strut. Los Angeles, California: Agape Editions, 2018.
- Dear Continuum: Letters to a Poet Crafting Liberation. Bronx, NY: Grand Concourse Press, 2015.
- Karma’s Footsteps. London, UK: Flipped Eye, 2011.
Works in Anthologies
- “Global Warming Blues.” Furious Flower. Alleyne and Gabbin, Eds, Evanston, Illinois: Triquarterly Books Northwestern University Press, 2020.
- “My Love For Him Ends The Occupation.” Soul Sister Revue: A Poetry Compilation. Cynthia Manick, Ed. San Bernadino: Jamii Publishing, 2019.
- “Curiosity Did What?” A Velocity of Being: Letters to a Young Reader. Bedrick, Popova, Eds, New York: Enchanted Lion Books, 2018.
- “Gap Toothed Woman.” The Golden Shovel Anthology. Kahn, Shankar, Smith, Eds, Fayetteville: The University of Arkansa Press, 2017.
- “Unheeled.” The Political Punch. Frazier-Foley and Smith, Eds, Knoxville: Sundress Publications, 2016.
- “The Brazen Hussy Blues.” Circe’s Lament: Anthology of Wild Women Poets. Spriggs and StoykovaKlemer, Eds. Lexington: Accents Publishing, 2016.
- “Paper Bag Poems,” “Global Warming Blues,” “Sunday,” and “Possible.” The BreakBeat Poets: New American Poetry in the Age of Hip-Hop. Coval, Lansana, Marshall, Eds. Chicago: Haymarket Books, 2015.
- “We Still Don’t Know.” New Rain: 35th Anniversary Anthology. Gary Johnston, Ed. Bronx: BlindBeggar Press, 2013.
- “Oshun Breaks it Down” and “Mami Wata” Black Mermaids: In Vision and Verse. Torreah Washington, Ed. Exhibition Catalogue, 2012.
- “My Great-great Grandmother Talks to Michelle Obama.” Go, Tell Michelle: African American Women Write to the New First Lady. Brooks-Bertram, Nevergold Eds. Albany: State University of New York Press, 2009.
- “On Solace” Beats, Rhymes, and Life: What We Love and Hate About Hip-Hop. Eds. Jasper, Womack, Moon/ Eds. New York: Broadway Books, 2007.
- “Note From a Loving Wife.” Revenge & Forgiveness: An Anthology of Poems Ed. Patrice Vecchione. New York: Henry Holt, 2004.
- “Height.” The Body Eclectic Ed. Patrice Vecchione. New York: Henry Holt, 2002.
- “Raindrop Women.” Beyond The Frontier: African-American Poetry for the 21st Century. E. Ethelbert Miller Ed. Baltimore: Black Classic Press, 2002.
- “Why I Still Write.” The Book of Hope. Birgitta Jonsdottir, Ed. Beyond Borders, 2002.
- “New Recipe” and “I was There Once.” Role Call. Ali, Bashir, Medina, Eds. Chicago: Third World Press, 2002.
- “Medusa.” Bum Rush The Page: A Def Poetry Jam, Eds. Medina, Rivera, New York: Random House, 2001.
- “Barefoot Stroll,” “Forced Entry,” “Evolution,” “Elemental Sounds,” “Sometimes,” “Recollect,” “Domino Effect,” “Distance is Destination,” “Serenade,” and “A Woman’s Poetic” Listen Up! Zoe Anglesey, Ed. One World/Ballantine, 1999.
- “Karma’s Footsteps.” Catch The Fire!!! A Cross-Generational Anthology of Contemporary African American Poetry Derrick Gilbert, Ed. Penguin/ Putnam, 1997.